Turkey – Not Just for the Holidays!
Our friends at JD Farms, our local turkey guru’s in Langley, came up with these reasons why turkey isn’t just for the holidays – in fact, there are many great reasons why turkey could and should be on your menu more often! JD Farms is locally owned and operated by Jack Froese, his Wife, Debbie, and their son, Jason. For over 30 years they’ve been creating some of the best free-range birds on the market, and continue this family tradition year-to-year! JD Farm’s turkey’s are free-range, naturally raised, and meet the most stringent standards in quality, guaranteeing a great tasting turkey every occasion.
Every day is a holiday at local turkey producers across the nation – and it could be at your house too. At a time when many families are looking for better ways to serve up creative, healthy meals while supporting local food producers and reducing their carbon footprint, your local turkey farmer could be offering a tasty solution.
Traditionally, families only serve turkey on the holidays, and it’s a huge production with a full bird and all the fixings. But making turkey part of your regular meals doesn’t have to be a big ordeal. With the variety of fresh cuts available today, it’s easy to incorporate turkey into your daily menus.
So why should you make turkey a part of your everyday menu? Here are five great reasons:
- It’s healthy. As one of the leanest meats available, turkey is a great option if you’re looking for a smart way to serve up healthy, low-fat meals.
- It’s easy. Whether it’s turkey sausage and eggs for breakfast, a turkey burger for lunch or grilled turkey legs for dinner, this tasty, lean meat is easy to incorporate into most of your favorite recipes.
- It’s fun. Add a new flavor to simple meals. Hold a backyard barbeque with turkey on the spit. Or bring some holiday cheer to summer and hold Thanksgiving in July.
- It’s local. By choosing local turkey, you’re not only buying fresh, but you’re supporting the food producers and economy in your area.
- Canada’s Food Guide to Healthy Eating recommends choosing lower fat foods more often and including leaner meats and poultry in our diets. This means turkey is an excellent choice to help your family meet Canadian health standards.
The BC Turkey Farmers agree, adding that turkey is a great source of protein and chock full of essential nutrients, such as niacin, amino acids and phosphorous. So whichever way you slice it, turkey is an excellent way to add variety to your everyday meals, while helping you achieve a healthier lifestyle.